Wireless Network Key

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Thu Aug 7 11:06:50 UTC 2008

Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 17:33 -0400, Arthur H. Johnson II wrote:
>> Its much easier for me to open a terminal and execute one of 11 shell
>> scripts to connect to wherever I'm sitting.
>
> Sorry for a question that maybe sounds dumb, but I gotta ask: easier
> than what? Easier than NM doing it automatically for you?

See that's the thing.  NM doesn't always do it automatically. It's not
that transparent.  I've got 5 different secure wireless networks I deal
with pretty regularly.  Each with different settings.  NM couldn't
handle them all and keep my NIC from dying.  I inevitably has to reload
the module and then try it again.  With a script it takes 10 seconds to
switch between APs.  With NM it might take 20 seconds, or 2 minutes
depending on if it felt like behaving.

As I've said before.  I type faster than I point and click.  My world is
much easier using bash scripts than some GUI app.  Not to mention the
fact that I don't always boot into RL5.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support