encrypted /tmp? encrypted home dir but remotely rebootable?

Bob Smith bob at example.com
Wed Aug 6 17:00:30 UTC 2008

> >> I've worked out how to set up encrypted swap and /home/bob on my
> >> laptop, but is it possible to set up encrypted /tmp too? If so,
> >> how big does the /tmp partition need to be?

> Bob - I'm curious - how did you encrypt swap and still use hibernate?
> I was under the impression that was still not doable...

I don't use hibernate! (Because I heard it wouldn't work!)

> Why not just encrypt everything (whole drive?)

Last time there was a power cut I was away from home and needed to log
in to my home computer. I phoned my housemate to push the "on"
button. I'd like to be able to get him to do that, and then be able to
mount my encrypted home directory remotely, so I don't have to give
him the LUKS passphrase.

If you do whole-drive encryption, or put things in /etc/fstab that are
supposed to mount at boot time and depend on things in /etc/crypttab
(other than swap), he would have to enter the passphrase before it got
as far as starting the sshd.