Wireless Network Key

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Aug 6 20:49:54 UTC 2008

Mario Vukelic wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 12:35 -0400, Mark Haney wrote:
>>
>> Good luck with that.  In every case, and in 4 different distros, NM
>> just sucks.  Period.
>
> Has been working perfectly on this HP nc6000 since Gutsy (and
> kind-of-worked long before that)

Didn't work perfectly on _this_ nc6000 until I got the latest firmware for
the broadcom, this week.  One of the things I still think is wrong is its
assumption that NM always knows best about things like timeout periods.
With the older firmware, NM would often give up on things that seemed
likely to have worked if it just waited a little longer (both association
and waiting for a DHCP address were noticeable issues).

What kernel are you using?  I was using the old firmware because ndiswrapper
worked better than bcm43xx under 2.6.22, but I could never boot 2.6.24 -
finally installed 2.6.26 from Intrepid and can now use the b43 driver.
--
derek