Media Centre PC - Using Ubuntu

Gerry Freymann lists at interpool.ca
Wed Aug 6 17:54:53 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 09:16 +0930, Greg Donhardt wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone has had any experience setting up ubuntu as a
> media PC.

 Hi Greg.

 I would highly recommend MythBuntu as well. There's great reference in
the MythBuntu Forums and in the parent MythTV web site.

 It's fun when you start adding remote frontends, and then are able to
share your media throughout your home. There are some network related
issues you must set up correctly, like using the same paths to your
music, pictures, videos and cover art on all your machines, and if you
add a TV Tuner you have to figure out how to manage your cards, inputs
and sources, and probably how to use your remote and optionally change
channels on external equipment if required.

 Take it one step at a time and enjoy!

 LinuxMCE is a home automation solution that integrates MythTV for the
PVR functions and offers a ton of other functions, but I would recommend
playing with MythBuntu first.