Wireless Network Key

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Wed Aug 6 17:26:47 UTC 2008

Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 11:43 -0400, Mark Haney wrote:
>

> If you use a hard to crack master key phrase, it would be extremely
> difficult to get access to the encrypted keys.  Root access does not get
> you access to the keys in a user's keyring.  You need to know the
> passphrase.  Normally, this looks like it is the user's login password,
> but it can be changed, so you are prompted to unlock the keyring when
> applications ask for access.

Again, my point here is, if you get user access to Ubuntu, you can get
root with no trouble.  Therein is one of those gotchas with Ubuntu.

Besides, how many people would change their master passphrase to
something different from their login password?  Most regular users
probably wouldn't.  That's one of the really frustrating things about
dealing with security issues.  Most of the ones that come back to bite
you in the ass aren't the really complicated ones, it's the easy crap
(like having different passwords, etc.) that gets you.

Maybe we're arguing both sides of the same coin, but the fact is, I
offered that as a solution that will work with the obvious caveat thrown
in.  I have wireless on several systems without X on them, so NM won't
help me in that case.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support