Sound Recording

andy baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Wed Aug 6 07:17:48 UTC 2008

Bill Taylor wrote:
> I need to make an voice only mp3 track so that the instrument players
> can work on their parts before we do an original arrangement.  I do not
> need quality and I am using my on board AC97 but even though I have the
> Mike on the Mixer opend wide open I can get no signal but the pop of the
> switch to record.
>
> Any help?
> -

Have you looked to see if there is a 'mic boost' switch or slider for
your sound card? Also, be aware that there are usually two 'mic' sliders
for a sound card - one controls the amount of the mic input that goes
direct to the card's line out; the other controls how much of the mic
input goes to through the 'capture' channel to be recorded. You need to
have the first of these turned down or muted, and the second selected as
an input and turned up, with 'capture' also turned up. Could you report
what running the 'amixer' command in a terminal returns, and also which
desktop environment you are using (if you want a GUI solution to this).

andy