Media Centre PC - Using Ubuntu

steve sfreilly at roadrunner.com
Wed Aug 6 01:23:45 UTC 2008

Brie Gordon wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 7:46 PM, Greg Donhardt <greg at donhardt.id.au> wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>> Just wondering if anyone has had any experience setting up ubuntu as a
>> media PC.
>>
>> I have been using Ubuntu for about 6 months now and consider myself an
>> advanced level user. I am looking for advice on hardware, software, how
>> to go about it all.
>>
>> Any help appreciated.
>>
>> Greg
>>
>> --
>>

> Greg,
>
> I'm glad you seem to be happy with Ubuntu! Can you say more
> specifically what you mean by 'media PC'? Do you want to use this as a
> storage point for your multimedia? Do you want others to be able to
> browse it? What kind of computer do you have?
>
> Take a look at these links and see if they are helpful:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Studio
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MultimediaApplications
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Multimedia

If I can guess what you mean by "media pc", Ill assume something
similiar to the windows media center pc's.  I suggest you take a look at
http://www.mythbuntu.org/  and its parent project http://www.mythtv.org/
 I wouldnt recommend "mythtv" for absolute beginners as it can get quite
involved even for experienced users.  But, mythbuntu is quite easy to
begin with.  Good luck.

- --
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com