[Accessibility + WUBI] Re: I'm a new member and a question: Error during the installation of Ubuntu 8.04.1

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 6 00:26:46 UTC 2008

On 08/05/2008 04:44 PM, Demetry wrote:
> On 8/6/2008 12:30 AM, NoOp wrote:
>> Not sure this will work with WUBI installs, but on the Alternate CD it
>> provides Accessability options by selecting F5:
>>

> Umm, please can you or anyone from the list here can give me an
> step-by-step instruction? I'm an absoutely newbie.
> And, where I can get the Alternative CD to download?
>
> Thanks.
> Demetry

Installation CD's are here:
http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.04.1/

However, given your accessability requirements I'd recommend that you
wait for awhile until one of the other blind members on the list can
assist you. They are much more qualified to help you than I am.

What I would recommend is that you download the liveCD, burn that as a
CD (see: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BurningIsoHowto), then boot your PC
using that CD to see how you like Ubuntu. The liveCD also has the same
accessability options as the Alternate CD on startup, so all you need to
do is press F5 after it boots and you select your language. From there
you can choose the same accessability options.

The liveCD loads Ubuntu into memory, so it will not make any changes to
your computer unless you elect to install from the liveCD. You can do a
test run of Ubuntu, make sure it works on your computer before
installing, and then install if all works well.

The standard liveCD iso's on that page:

http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.04.1/ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-i386.iso
[PC (Intel x86) desktop CD
    For almost all PCs. This includes most machines with Intel/AMD/etc
type processors and almost all computers that run Microsoft Windows, as
well as newer Apple Macintosh systems based on Intel processors. Choose
this if you are at all unsure.]

http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.04.1/ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso
[64-bit PC (AMD64) desktop CD
    Choose this to take full advantage of computers based on the AMD64
or EM64T architecture (e.g., Athlon64, Opteron, EM64T Xeon, Core 2). If
you have a non-64-bit processor made by AMD, or if you need full support
for 32-bit code, use the Intel x86 images instead.]

The downloads are approximately 700MB, so be prepared for a long
download if you are on a slow link. You can also download them using
Bittorent:

http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.04.1/ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-i386.iso.torrent
http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.04.1/ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso.torrent

if you prefer.

If you still wish to use WUBI, here are some links that may be helpful.
Unfortunately they use a lot of graphics on the pages, so I'm unsure if
you will be able to see those depending upon your blindness:

http://wubi-installer.org/index.php
 http://wubi-installer.org/faq.php
  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide

Now it all that is too confusing, post back and we'll see if there is an
easier way to get Ubuntu installed on your system.