Unable to use Ubuntu 8.04 live CD

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 5 20:04:59 UTC 2008

On 08/05/2008 12:16 PM, Jerry Alber wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
[snip]
>> log out and try to log back in normally by setting the session to
>> "GNOME" and see if that works. Your resolution might be off & if it
>> causes you to not see the panels, use: Alt-F2 and enter:
>> gnome-display-properties
>> and see if you can set your proper resolution. If that doesn't work, use
>> Alt-F2 again and enter: gksu displayconfig-gtk
>> and try to set the screens from there. Note: click the "Graphics Card"
>> tab & see if your GC driver looks correct. If not don't do anything yet,
>> just post back on what it shows.
>>
>> If it still gives you fits, set the session back to "Failsafe GNOME" and
>> log back in.
>>
>> I think we are getting closer... as I see it, this is a graphics
>> card/driver gdm issue, & again _thanks_ for your patience in testing all
>> of this. If we can peg down your problem(s) then you can post on your
>> launchpad thread & hopefully help others & the developers modify the
>> install CD's.
>>

> NoOp,
>
> I did the above but still can not log back in. I did make a hard copy of
> the xorg-conf file before I did the above. After doing the above, I took
> another look and it was still the same. The odt attachment contains both
> the Ubuntu 8.04.1 alternate and Ubuntu-Studio 7.10 xorg-conf files. The
> latter is much more explicit than the former Ubuntu 8.04.1.

That's because the new "improved" xorg doesn't generate an explicit
xorg.conf, only the one that you see now.  So, let's go ahead and do
one; log back in using FAILSAFE Gnome, then Alt-F2 again and enter: gksu
displayconfig-gtk
Set your terminal and radon card, then log out and log back in (you'll
probably need to use the FAILSAFE Gnome again. One in have a look at
your xorg.conf, it should now have details regarding your driver
terminal, screen etc.

> Ubuntu 8.04.1 does not seem to have trouble finding the Radeon driver;
> it's just not registering  with the xorg.conf file.
>
> Where is the debconf database? Is there a way to populate it?

/usr/bin/sudo /usr/sbin/configure-debian
But the above will (displayconfig-gtk) will generate the explicit xorg.conf.