time-admin error: "Could not authenticate"

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Tue Aug 5 06:06:21 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I recently installed 8.04 on a new laptop in a different time zone; now that
I am home, I need to change the TZ, but time-admin won't "unlock"; after
about twenty seconds it displays a dialog box saying: "Could not
authenticate".

It looks like this bug was reported and fixed:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gtk+2.0/+bug/183804

In the meantime, are there any workarounds? For some reason running
time-admin from gksudo doesn't work either.

TIA

-----
  Colin Brace
  Amsterdam