editors in rescue mode (thanks)

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 4 19:25:10 UTC 2008

On 08/04/2008 12:20 AM, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Aug 2008, NoOp wrote:
>

>> It wouldn't have worked properly anyway; see Brian's earlier thread on
>> this: "vi almost unusable in recovery console"
>
> I had skipped over that thread before but went back and picked it up.
>

>> If you have a working network connection on the machine:
>>
>> # apt-get install bogl-bterm
>
> To ask a stupid question: in recovery mode?
>
> Thanks to all that replied.

Yeah, I know... it's pretty odd that you'd have to do that. I actually
stumbled across that when helping Brian. If I recall I tried to run
bterm and the response back was that I needed to install bogl-bterm via
apt-get.

I found a bogl-bterm-udeb in the /pool/main/b/bogl directory, but it's a
udeb and I've no clue about those. However, bterm can be extracted from
that and placed in /usr/share/terminfo/b/bterm:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/i386/bogl-bterm/filelist
/usr/bin/bterm
/usr/share/doc/bogl-bterm/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/bogl-bterm/copyright
/usr/share/man/man1/bterm.1.gz
/usr/share/terminfo/b/bterm

But trying to mess with that when you are in "Rescue a broken system"
mode isn't what I'd want to be doing anyway. Hopefully Brian's bug & the
one's that he referrenced will get some attention and bogl-bterm will
get installed by default on the next installers.

In the interim; on your working machines:
sudo apt-get install bogl-bterm
and then if you do have to go back into "Rescue a broken system" on any
of them you'll at least have bterm installed.