Help

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Aug 4 15:34:20 UTC 2008

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_windows_xp_and_linux_xp_installed_first.htm

>> Actually, it doesn't.  It's a nice tutorial for installing Linux onto a
>> Windows machine, but it doesn't tell you anything about getting Grub
>> configured - it just assumes that the installer gets that right.
>
> You are absolutely correct in your assumption. I have set up several
> machines with dual boot of Windows XP and Ubuntu and, in every case, the
> installer got it correct.

Fine - but that's not much help if you (as Jake has) have already installed
both OS's and you don't have a grub menu.  In my case, the installer got it
right with every install since Warty - except the time I installed to an
external drive, but there's enough anecdotal evidence that, even if there
isn't anything actually wrong with the installer, it's not too difficult
for a user to complete the install without getting grub properly set up.

That said, I think Nils probably got it right, with the menu just being
hidden.
--
derek