Help with dual booting

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Aug 4 11:17:36 UTC 2008

Alan Milnes wrote:

> Jake wrote:
>> I have Ubuntu 8.04 and I installed it to work "with" Windows XP, and now
>> I can't get to Windows XP anymore, it automatically boots into Ubuntu, I
>> need help on how to either UNINSTALL Ubuntu or INSTRUCTIONS on how to
>> get to Windows XP, all your help will be appreciated..
>
> We need some more information.

We do?  Can't hurt, but I usually assume that users did what they say they
did until proved elsewise.

Jake: edit /boot/grub/menu.lst as root (so use sudo, gksudo, kdesudo,
whichever is appropriate with your editor of choice).  There should be
commented lines for a Windows boot like:

# title         Windows 95/98/NT/2000
# root          (hd0,0)
# makeactive
# chainloader   +1

Copy those either before or after the section labelled "AUTOMAGIC KERNELS
LIST" (depending whether you want Windows first or last), and uncomment
them.  Then run:

# sudo update-grub

That should be all you need.

> Can you please do the following:-
> sudo fdisk -l > ~/mydisks.txt
>
> 3) type in your password when prompted

There's no need for sudo or output redirection.

> 4) Now go to Places -> Home Folder
>
> 5) Double click on mydisks.txt
>
> 6) press the Ctrl and A keys at the same time
>
> 7) press the Ctrl and C keys at the same time

Could have cut and pasted from the terminal more easily.
--
derek