[OT] The Search for a useable Ubuntu Home Server

Alain Muls alain.muls at telenet.be
Mon Aug 4 10:22:20 UTC 2008

ubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com wrote:

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 7
> Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 00:39:45 -0400
> From: Clifford Haynes <chaynes33 at embarqmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [OT] The Search for a useable Ubuntu Home Server
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support,	not for general discussions"
> 	<ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
>

> NoOp wrote:
>
>> On 08/03/2008 02:22 PM, Brian McKee wrote:
>>

>>> <shameless plug>
>>>
>>> I'm not quite sure why, but I started a new blog today.
>>>
>>> Check it out at http://furicle.blogspot.com
>>>
>>> It's all about me replacing my IPCop box and consolidating down to a
>>> single Ubuntu Home Server.
>>>
>>> I'm doing it just a subject or less a day - a couple of a paragraphs
>>> at a time.  The theory is I'll get ahead of it and time release the
>>> blog entries once every day or two to get a steady stream of output.
>>> We'll see how it goes.
>>>
>>> Feel free to wander on over and flame me for being an idiot in the comments.
>>>
>>> Brian
>>>
>>> </shameless plug>
>>>

>> I wonder if others find:
>> background:#000000;
>> margin:0;
>> color:#cccccc;
>> font: x-small "Trebuchet MS", Trebuchet, Verdana, Sans-serif;
>>
>> irritating and hard to read. Poorly rendering tiny white font against a
>> black background. I have to turn off 'colors' in my browsers (Fx and
>> SeaMonkey) to read
>>

> Who gives a rat's butt!  You missed the point.  If you want it fancy,
> then help the
> man out in the blog design.  For God's sake, say something positive.
> _Do_ something
> positive.  After all, he _IS_ trying to make a contribution!  I had no
> trouble reading
> what he had to say.  Leave the petty crap on the playground.  The past
> couple of
> months, I have seen more "playground tantrums" on here than any
> substance.  If
> you have nothing good or nice to say, shut your fat face.  _GROW_ _UP!_
> ALL OF YOU!
> If what I have to say offends some one, then I'm sad to say "Oh well".
>
> I like his idea & will be following it.
>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>
> ------------------------------

Hi

I will be watching this thread and the corresponding site with much
interest since I am also thinking of setting up a home server with
(k)ubuntu. If I can I will give positive advice and I think it is
inappropriate to refute the man's effort with a mail only stating that
it is unreadable. Perhaps the 'scammer' could have sent a private mail
for addressing this problem. IMHO the site is very clear browsed with
Konqueror.

I hope Brian will keep up his work and will inform us of his adventures.

Tx Brian
Alain