editors in rescue mode

Leo Cacciari leo.cacciari at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 08:26:48 UTC 2008

Il giorno dom, 03/08/2008 alle 16.17 -0700, Robert Holtzman ha scritto:
> Recently my system locked up because I screwed up my ~/.profile file. I
> decided to boot into rescue mode from the alternate ubuntu CD and couldn't
> find a text editor. Tried vim, vi, emacs, pico, etc all to no avail. Gave
> up, bailed out and booted into single user from the hard drive and found
> all the editors, repaired ~/.profile and all was well. The burning
> question is what editor is available on the alternate ubuntu CD rescue
> mode. There must be at least one or rescue mode is all but useless.

Why use an editor at all? When you drop in rescue mode's root shell,
simply change to your home dir and do

mv .profile dot.profile.old

This will revert you to standard, that way you can log in, edit your
profile (now in ~/dot.profile.old) and copy it back to ~/.profile. Log
out, log back in and you are done.

Enjoy

--
Leo Cacciari