'help'

Leo Cacciari leo.cacciari at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 08:17:01 UTC 2008

Il giorno dom, 03/08/2008 alle 16.51 -0400, steve ha scritto:

> Pastor JW wrote:
> > On Sunday 03 August 2008 08:40:48 am David Armour wrote:
> >> unsubscribe me, please.
> >
> > I quoted this from the botton of your message:
> >
> > "Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> >
> > Actually, it is at the bottom of this message as well as it is at the bottom
> > of every message posted to this list.  Hope that was of some help; no-one can
> > help those who can't help themselves.
> >

> there are some other mailman lists that i subscribe to that auto send
> unsubscribe and help messages once a month..... to the list admins:
> would this not help the amount of "unsubscribe" emails we see?
Nope. As others have pointed out, if someone can not read the bottom of
a message he or she is replying to, I do not immagine he/she will go to
the trouble to read an old message. It will only clutter the mailbox of
people who know how to with no advantage whatsoever.

Moreover, doing this kind of things strikes me as adhering to the
windows underlying philosophy that: 1) you should be idiot-proof, and 2)
the only way to achieve this is to treat everybody as an idiot.

People should try to better themselves, and other people should help
them to. _my_ policy, when I get to see a message like this is either to
ignore it or to reply directly to the OP. Why not to the list? Well, as
someone pointed out in a thread which ended up into flame and thus is
not worth identifying, answer to the list are here so that everyone can
profit from them. Since I suppose that the great majority of people on
the list _is_  able to read the bottom lines of the message, an answer
to the list does not make sense. On the other side, if a lot of people
send private messages to the OP, maybe, just maybe he or she will start
to understand. Or may be not, my brother always says I have really to
much faith in human nature....

--
Leo Cacciari