odd things

Leo Cacciari leo.cacciari at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 11:19:37 UTC 2008

Il giorno dom, 03/08/2008 alle 04.54 -0600, Karl Larsen ha scritto:
> Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> > Karl Larsen wrote:
> >

> >>     Thanks for the reference but it didn't help much. It seems FUSE is a
> >> kernel driver and gvfs is a virtual file sytem. And all this is odd
> >> things to me. Sorry I asked :-)
> >>

> > Try the Wiki entry on FUSE
> > (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_in_Userspace)
> >
> > There's a lot of tech stuff in there, but basically it's a way to
> > implement filesystem drivers without running privileged (root) code.
> >
> > There's a lot of cool stuff done using FUSE...for example, mounting your
> > gmail account space as a directory, and one I've used is to mount a
> > remote directory using SSH so if you have a home system with SSHD
> > running you can "mount" your home directory at your house as another
> > directory on a remote computer.
> >

>     Well I have done ssh back when you needed a password and it seemed
> to work just fine. But you did need to know your IP numbers that were
> hard to remember. It seems there is some complexity growing from the
> Ubuntu urge to remove the root password.

Karl,
  that has nothing to do with it. FUSE is usefull, not just for that.
For instance it allows to handle cryptographic file systems, it is the
only way I know to access NTFS filesystem both for reading and writing
and so on.
  Moreover, gvfs is useful as it is, as far from all linux systems are
single user system. Without it, you'll need to give root rights to every
user willing to access windows shares and the like.

--
Leo Cacciari