hp Pavillion won't sleep

James Takac p3nndrag0n at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 02:51:14 UTC 2008

Hi Ed

On Sunday 03 August 2008 12:12:00 Ed Jabbour wrote:
> On Saturday 02 August 2008 19:40:26 James Takac wrote:
> > Hi Ed
> >
> > On Sunday 03 August 2008 09:00:42 Ed Jabbour wrote:
> > > HP Pavillion dv9720us won't be put to sleep.  2GB RAM, 3GB swap.  I've
> > > tried fooling with Power Manager, with /etc/default acpi-support, and
> > > such. No matter what I do, trying sleep only switches the screen to
> > > what looks to be part of the boot process and I have to ctl-alt-del
> > > out. I've googled so much I've gone cross-eyed and really don't
> > > remember everything I've tried. Any hints or pointers greatly
> > > appreciated.
> >
> > I've seen this sort of behavior with certain graphic cards. Most notably
> > some nVidia ones that I've come across in my travels. Which graphic card
> > does your HP have?
>
> Should have mentioned that.  It's an  GeForce 7150M.

I believe it's an issue related to your graphic card and it's driver in this
instance and sadly I don't have a cure or workaround in this case. I say a
driver issue because I've seen similar behavior occur after an online update
where the system behaved fine and then wouldn't sleep, power down, etc
afterwards. Is this behavior recent, i.e. after an update? Also done some
googling to no avail re this :(

James