connecting to localhost while off line

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 2 23:24:22 UTC 2008

On 08/02/2008 12:03 PM, dave selby wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I cannot get access to my localhost when I am off line. Googleing
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/36754
> you have to amend /etc/hosts which I have done (my system name is
> dev-system) but this has still not resolved my problem.
>
> my /etc/hosts file is now ...
>
> 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost dev-system
> 127.0.0.1 localhost dev-system
>
> 127.0.0.1       localhost
> 127.0.1.1       dev-system

> ::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
> fe00::0 ip6-localnet
> ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
> ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
> ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
> ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
>
> Can anyone help ?
>
> Cheers
>
> Dave

Modify to:

127.0.0.1       localhost dev-system.<localdomain>
127.0.1.1       dev-system

::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

Where .<localdomain> is by default mshome for Ubuntu. If you wish to use
the windows default this would be 'workgroup'. You can eliminate
.<localdomain> altogether if you do not plan to use Samba for sharing.

The reason for keeping the 127.0.1.1 entry is to assist in speeding up
the boot process if you have no network connected at boot time.