playing XviD files

andy baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Sat Aug 2 07:20:43 UTC 2008

James Takac wrote:
> Hi Andy
>
> On Saturday 02 August 2008 16:40:53 andy baxter wrote:
>
>> James Takac wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Andy

>>> It seems the program you're trying to open the file with can't find the
>>> file going by the error you get. Which program are you using and how are
>>> you trying to open the file?
>>>
>>> James
>>>
>> It's OK, I know what the problem is. The previous poster (mark)
>> suggested that I try 'file HDViD.Eng.XviD'. But there isn't such a file
>> on my system - it was the op (gary) who was talking about that file (or
>> file extension probably), not me, and I think mark mixed us up in his
>> reply. I expected that command to return an error, but tried the command
>> anyway and posted the result so mark could see it for himself.
>>
>> Thanks anyway to mark for pointing out that the 'file' command is useful
>> in finding out whether a file is really DivX or XviD, which I hadn't
>> thought of.
>>
>> andy
>>

> If you go into the synaptic package manager and search for xvid which packages
> show as installed?
>
> James

Doing:

root at ubuntu:/etc/security# dpkg -l '*xvid*' | cat

(which is easier to paste here) gives:

| Status=Not/Installed/Config-f/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/t-aWait/T-pend
uppercase=bad)
||/ Name
Version                                            Description
+++-==========================================-==================================================-============================================
un  libxvidcore
<none>                                             (no description
available)
ii  libxvidcore4
2:1.1.2-0.1ubuntu3                                 High quality ISO
MPEG4 codec library
ii  xvid4conf
1.12-0.1                                           creates XviD
configuration files
un  xvidtune
<none>                                             (no description
available)

which indicates that libxvidcore4 and xvid4conf are installed.