playing XviD files

andy baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Sat Aug 2 06:40:53 UTC 2008

James Takac wrote:
> Hi Andy
>

> On Saturday 02 August 2008 15:30:28 andy baxter wrote:
>
>> Mark Williams wrote:
>>
>> You may have mixed me up with the OP? But here goes...
>>
>> andy at ubuntu:~$ file HDViD.Eng.XviD
>> HDViD.Eng.XviD: ERROR: cannot open `HDViD.Eng.XviD' (No such file or
>> directory)
>>
>> If I run 'file' on the actual file I have, it gives this:
>>
>> andy at ubuntu:/media/ANDYS-DRIVE/videos$ file Fargo\ \ tt0116282\ \[Eng\]\
>> 1996\ \[NoPassWord\]\ DVD\ .DivX
>> Fargo  tt0116282 [Eng] 1996 [NoPassWord] DVD .DivX: RIFF (little-endian)
>> data, AVI, 720 x 540, 29.97 fps, video: XviD, audio: MPEG-1 Layer 3
>> (stereo, 44100 Hz)
>>

>> andy
>>

> It seems the program you're trying to open the file with can't find the file
> going by the error you get. Which program are you using and how are you
> trying to open the file?
>
> James

It's OK, I know what the problem is. The previous poster (mark)
suggested that I try 'file HDViD.Eng.XviD'. But there isn't such a file
on my system - it was the op (gary) who was talking about that file (or
file extension probably), not me, and I think mark mixed us up in his
reply. I expected that command to return an error, but tried the command
anyway and posted the result so mark could see it for himself.

Thanks anyway to mark for pointing out that the 'file' command is useful
in finding out whether a file is really DivX or XviD, which I hadn't
thought of.

andy