playing XviD files

andy baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Sat Aug 2 05:30:28 UTC 2008

Mark Williams wrote:

> andy baxter wrote:
>
>> Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 7:24 PM, POWERS, ZACK <zpowers at umflint.edu
>>> <mailto:zpowers at umflint.edu>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     Gary,
>>>     Are you sure this file is a XviD file not DivX?
>>>

>>> Yes, I am sure.  Copied from the file name:   HDViD.Eng.XviD
>>>
>> I have a downloaded file which says DivX in the filename, but when
>> played in gxine it reports it as Xvid, so maybe you should try to check
>> this another way somehow.
>>
>> andy
>>

> What does 'file HDViD.Eng.XviD' give you?
>
> Mark

You may have mixed me up with the OP? But here goes...

andy at ubuntu:~$ file HDViD.Eng.XviD
HDViD.Eng.XviD: ERROR: cannot open `HDViD.Eng.XviD' (No such file or
directory)

If I run 'file' on the actual file I have, it gives this:

andy at ubuntu:/media/ANDYS-DRIVE/videos$ file Fargo\ \ tt0116282\ \[Eng\]\
1996\ \[NoPassWord\]\ DVD\ .DivX
Fargo  tt0116282 [Eng] 1996 [NoPassWord] DVD .DivX: RIFF (little-endian)
data, AVI, 720 x 540, 29.97 fps, video: XviD, audio: MPEG-1 Layer 3
(stereo, 44100 Hz)

andy