Setting default applications w/out gnome-control-center

Mumia W. paduille.4062.mumia.w+nospam at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 1 21:12:17 UTC 2008

On 08/01/2008 01:05 PM, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 13:50 -0400, Peter N Spotts wrote:
>>> Gconf is like the Windows registry; there are
>>> many keys, and the keys have values, and you have to know the right
>>> key and value to modify to get your desired results.
>
> I have a strong personal dislike against this meme, so I have to respond
> with a few corrections:
>
> gconf uses xml files and optionally other backends (which haven't been
> written, though) [...]

Don't get me wrong. I know that gconf is ten-times more competently
written than the Windows registry :-) , but from the user-interface
point of view, they are pretty much the same thing.

> Both are actually pretty good ideas. Microsoft just approached it in way
> that probably has advantages for them, but is a pain for the user. As
> usual.

Yes, don't you just love the catch-22 created when a program messes with
the registry--making Windows unbootable--and you have to run
regedit.exe--a Windows GUI program--to fix the registry?

At least gconf can me manipulated from the command line or "by hand";
anyway, gconf is never critical to booting.