Setting default applications w/out gnome-control-center

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Fri Aug 1 18:05:44 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 13:50 -0400, Peter N Spotts wrote:
> > Gconf is like the Windows registry; there are
> > many keys, and the keys have values, and you have to know the right
> > key and value to modify to get your desired results.

I have a strong personal dislike against this meme, so I have to respond
with a few corrections:

gconf uses xml files and optionally other backends (which haven't been
written, though), like a database.
Registry uses binary files that you can ONLY edit with MS-approved
tools.

The gconf hierarchy is pretty straightforward, and at least application
settings are very easy to find.
Registry is much, much more convoluted.

The gconf keys have pretty straightforward names that usually reflect
their purpose well.
Registry keys often are obfuscated.

gconf keys that control application behavior and that are therefore of
interest to users usually tell you their valid values, and the purposes
of these values, when you select them -- descriptions are at the bottom
of the window.
In the registry, you are usually on your own, or have to learn the valid
values from documentation, if provided.

So, the similarities between gconf and the registry seem to be:
      * They use a hierarchical structure
      * They provide a centralized place to store information with
        standard methods.

Both are actually pretty good ideas. Microsoft just approached it in way
that probably has advantages for them, but is a pain for the user. As
usual.