Tired of freezing laptop

Chris Pratt pratt70 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 02:45:21 UTC 2008

If you're running default Hardy then you should always have six
terminals available besides your gui.  Ever try <CTRL> <ALT> <F1>--<F6>
when it *freezes*?  You can find out what is tying up your system and
kill it there. <CTRL><ALT><F7> should bring you back to your gui...

ps ax|grep [t]ty
 5078 tty4     Ss+    0:00 /sbin/getty 38400 tty4
 5079 tty5     Ss+    0:00 /sbin/getty 38400 tty5
 5081 tty2     Ss+    0:00 /sbin/getty 38400 tty2
 5083 tty3     Ss+    0:00 /sbin/getty 38400 tty3
 5085 tty6     Ss+    0:00 /sbin/getty 38400 tty6
 7301 tty7     RLs+   3:49 /usr/bin/X :0 -br -audit 0 -auth
/var/lib/gdm/:0.Xauth -nolisten tcp vt7
 7730 tty1     Ss+    0:00 /sbin/getty 38400 tty1