Win98 -- all kidding aside

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 1 01:05:31 UTC 2008

On 07/31/2008 05:31 PM, Victor Padro wrote:

> In linux, if you don't what to use the CLI then you shouldn't be using
> linux, because most of the tasks can be done using the CLI, it doesn't
> matter if you are running thousands of state-of-the-art servers or even a
> newly hundred core intel based laptop with 2 terabytes of ram and 500
> terabytes of disk, it doesn't matter you will have to use the CLI someday!

Now that would be a serious laptop... I wonder if they'd take a trade-in
on my backup LapNote (Clevo) 350Mhz/128Mb. Heck I'd even throw in my
everyday IBM ThinkPad A21M 800Mhz/256Mb :-)

One of the first applications that I add to the top panel is the
terminal. I like GUI's as much as the next person, but the more that I
learn to use the CLI the faster I get in
resolving/installing/uninstalling things. The clear beauty of the CLI is
that you have the ability to dig below the GUI (well behaved GUI or more
often not).