banned by ip

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Wed Apr 30 18:34:06 UTC 2008

Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> Derek Broughton wrote:
>
>> Describe your problem, in detail, and we can probably help.  The only hint
>> you've given us was "some situations like some websites don't allow more
>> than one connection to their website from a single ip address !!! what if i
>> have 3 employees using this website ? do i have to buy 3 ips ? (I have 70
>> ppl behind one single ip so buying 70 makes it a bit too $$$$)".  While
>> there may be situations like that, I work for a government department where
>> there are 300+ people accessing the Internet from a single IP, and I've
>> never run across a problem.
>
> That's not entirely true...he said something about an on/off switch on
> his modem.  He also mentioned something about "well, its not an actual
> ban, it just stops serving me after i make 3 requests untill 5 minutes
> have passed, then another 3 & so on ..."
>
> Then he said that I've missed a lot, despite my inability to find where
> he actually described his connection (dialup? cable? DSL? satellite??)
> and actual problem (all websites? one in particular?).
>
> Seeing as he arbitrarily termed this a ban when from what he has
> described it isn't, I would wonder if he's also making up the definition
> of a request, since a web page can actually consist of tens or hundreds
> of requests for various elements of a single page to be rendered...
>
> SO...
>
> J. Random Guess would be he has a bandwidth issue.  I advise him to
> stare intently at his modem's activity lights to see if they blink
> randomly or stay on in a nearly solid manner.  Run a ping test, see what
> the returns times are over a period of time.  Also, if he has Windows on
> this network, start scanning for trojans and viruses as they are great
> at not only killing your bandwidth, but on XP it'll kill your TCP
> connections since MS started implementing a throttling scheme that
> manifests itself as seemingly random network connection failures (you'd
> have to look at XP's system or application log for error messages).
>
> Unless he wants to feed us more details on his connection and network
> makeup and describe in detail what site is giving errors, I really doubt
> it's a ban and couldn't speculate further on what he had already described.

Sounds to me like he's trying to download from a free large file
download service on the restrited free accounts, like megaupload.  Yes
indeed, if you have multiple people behind an IP (or just one person
trying to overrun the free quota, not much difference really) you'll run
into problems... fortunately, all such sites I've run across offer a
premium service for a few silver.