Hardy install over existing Ubuntu install

Michael michaelg at seadreamer.net
Sat Apr 26 19:47:15 UTC 2008

Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 12:21 -0700, Michael wrote:
>
>> <snip> When the partitioner asked for the root partition I told it to
>> use the existing one without formating it.
>>

> This is very wrong. You now have a mess of an installation, as old files
> that were not overwritten (because they had the same name) are now
> scattered everywhere. It's likely that it works basically ok, but weird
> issues can creep up.

It did warn me that system files would be overwritten, I don't remember
the exact wording but I had the impression that only data files would
remain untouched.  So far no problems of any kind.  When I read this
list I think that I must lead a charmed life, none of the issues that
come up here seem to bother me.  8.04 is great for me as I think it is
for the vast majority of users.  YMMV