Does anybody use apt-get dist-upgrade to upgrade to Hardy?

Michael R. Head burner at suppressingfire.org
Thu Apr 24 20:35:04 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 14:35 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Oliver Grawert wrote:
>
> > use update-manager-core for commandline upgrades, dont use apt-get if
> > you cant handle the fallout you get with it (u-m has builtin handling
> > for a ton of special cases to guarantee a smooth upgrade in any case.
>
> Guarantee?  That's a huge improvement over Gutsy...
>
> I tried update-manager for the first time with gutsy, and it broke, so I
> went back to aptitude.

I've updated a few machines (both 6.06LTS and 7.10) with both
update-manager and update-manager-core (over the past month or two). The
only major glitch (in the upgrade process specifically) I encountered
was due to an out of sync mirror.

In my experience, the dist upgrader has seen a lot of improvement since
it was first introduced a couple years ago.

Of course it's annoying that it disables third party repositories, but
that's easy to correct post-upgrade.

--
Michael R. Head <burner at suppressingfire.org>
http://www.cs.binghamton.edu/~mike/