Missing stuff from 6.06 LTS to 8.06 LTS upgrade.

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Wed Apr 30 05:45:11 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 21:30 -0500, Kipton Moravec wrote:
> I did the upgrade from 6.06 LTS to 8.06 LTS.
>
> I have three immediate problems.
>
> 1. At the top of the screen to the right of the System menu item, I have
> funky dark rectangles where my Mozilla Foxfire and Evolution Icons
> should be. During the installation it said it could not find the .png
> files. Where do I get the Icons and where do I put them?

Rightclick the existing icons and "Remove from Panel". Then rightclick
the now-empty panel area and "Add to Panel". A window will open, the
second entry in the list will be "Application Launcher. Copy a launcher
from the Applications menu". Select this, then click the Forward button
at the bottom of the window and select what you need.

> 2. Mozilla works from blank Icon, but Evolution blank Icon says "Could
> not launch application, Failed to execute child process
> "evolution-2.6" (No such file or directory)". How do I fix this?

Same as above.

> 3. Under menu Applications -> Office I have both "Evolution" and
> "Evolution Mail and Calender" Selecting "Evolution" I get "Could not
> launch application, Failed to execute child process "evolution-2.6" (No
> such file or directory)".
> Selecting "Evolution Mail and Calender" Evolution starts. It says
> version 2.22.1 in the About. How do I get rid of the extra Evolution
> menu without killing the evolution that works?

The "Evolution" launcher should not be visible and should not point to
evoluion-2.6. I have no idea why it was left behind. But it's easily
fixed:

Right click the Applications menu itself. Click "Edit menus" and
navigate to the offending entry. You can simply uncheck the box in front
of "Evolution", which will hide it in the menu.

I note, however, that on my machine this entry exists, too. It is hidden
by default and launches "evolution" (not -2.6). So, to set everything
completely correctly, simply rightclick the "Evolution" entry, then
click "Properties" and enter "evolution" as the command.