Wireless Network Problem 8.04

Bob Cortez rjcortez at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 01:49:09 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 4:27 PM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 04/29/2008 02:12 PM, Bob Cortez wrote:
>

> > I'm sorry, I'm fairly new to this.  Thanks for taking the time to
> respond.
> >
> > Host name is MysticVentures-laptop
> > User name is MysticVentures
> > Domain is cortez-ross.
> >
> > In Network settings>General Tab if I enter the domain name above then
> close
> > network settings, when I open it up again the domain is appended to the
> host
> > name >127.0.1.1  MysticVentures-Laptop.cortez-ross.  I can go to the
> > properties and delete the .cortez-ross from the host alias, but when I
> close
> > and reopen Net Work manage, cortez-ross is still appended.  The only way
> > remove it is to leave the domain field blank.  I hope that makes sense
> now.
>
> OK, that does make sense. It's an irritation of the NM. Try this (from a
> terminal Applications|Accessories|Terminal):
>
> gksu gedit /etc hosts
>
> edit the 127.0.0.1 127.0.1.1 lines:
>
> 127.0.0.1  localhost MysticVentures-Laptop.cortez-ross
> 127.0.1.1  MysticVentures-Laptop
>
> save and exit the editor.
>
> While still in the terminal:
>
> sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
>
> and now you should be OK. Try your connections.
>
> Reboot to see if the settings stick; when you log back in, open a
> terminal and enter:
>
> cat /etc/hosts
>
> and see if they are as above.

Here's the results.

mysticventures at mysticventures-laptop:~$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost mysticventures-laptop.cortez-ross
127.0.1.1 mysticventures-laptop

::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

still no wireless option in Network Manger.

Any other ideas?  Thanks for the help.