How do I uninstall Evolution?

Francis Earl lunitik at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 21:08:59 UTC 2008

> I have my beta Hardy running and updated fine. I am going to use
> what the two web pages say to do. This is apt-get remove evolution and
> then if it works fine. If not I will re-install Hardy. Then tell the web
> pages to remove their faulty instructions :-)

That'll work, just don't remove evolution-data-server, which is what was
giving you issues earlier :)

The other packages that the command I gave you lists will be removed
automatically if they depend on evolution itself... you still might want
to check to make sure everything you want gone is gone though...

dpkg -l evolution* | grep ^ii

This lists all packages beginning with evolution that are installed on
the system.

You need to keep:

evolution-data-server
evolution-data-server-common

The rest can go... (I know I listed evolution-common before, but
apparently this isn't needed)

Just remember next time you upgrade, you need to install
'ubuntu-desktop' again prior to dist-upgrade (update-manager will
reinstall it itself I believe. So you'll have to continue doing this for
each release...