Virtual Box or Ubuntu?

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Tue Apr 29 16:02:02 UTC 2008

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Gunawan wrote:
> > Dear All,
> > I have install ubuntu hardy heron as guest operating system on my
> > windows. I use Virtual Box with NAT.
> > Strange. I could ping to one external ip address for example my
> > windows have 192.168.11.100.
> > I could ping successfully to 192.168.11.50 inside my ubuntu but can
> > get reply from another address.
> > for example I could not get reply from 192.168.11.55.
>
> 192.168.* addresses are, in theory, private and non-routable - this
> means that there's no guarantee that you can get from one subnet to
> another

Those addresses are not routable _over the internet_ but within your LAN
they are routable. It depends on your routers if the subnets can see each
other.

OTOH, as we are talking about NAT, we aren't talking about routable. The
ping of the OP is translated from the 10.* address within the VM to the
IP of the host which seems to be 192.168.11.100, i.e. the target machine
sees a ping from the host, which is in the same subnet.

Nils