Nvidia driver problem after Gutsy => Hardy upgrade

PleegWat pleegwat at telfort.nl
Mon Apr 28 19:05:11 UTC 2008

Ilya Vishnyakov wrote:
> Please see this thread (there is solution)
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-nv/+bug/173
> 418
>
> "For those of you having problems with the nvidia restricted driver
> either crashing X or displaying a black screen with Ubuntu 8.04 use the
> latest nvidia beta driver found on the nvidia website it is version
> NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.08-pkg1.run. I am running the Quadro NVS 140M on a
> Dell D830 and this fixed my problem. The driver can be found here
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html and then click on archive and
> find the 173.08 driver.
>
> Here are the steps:
> 1. Purge the nvidia restricted package if installed by doing a "dpkg
> --purge nvidia-glx-new"
> 2. Kill the gdm server, "/etc/init.d/gdm stop"
> 3. Install the driver mentioned above.
> 4. start gdm server "/etc/init.d/gdm start"
> When X starts you should now see the nvidia logo with the the words beta
> in red. If you don't edit you xorg.conf file and replace nv with nvidia
> and restart X."

No luck. The beta driver installs correctly, and when I load the kernel
module manually (modprobe nvidia) it loads successfully. However, X
won't run with it.
I also tried using dpkg to regenerate xorg.conf, but the resulting
xorg.conf loads NV.
Modifying that file to force nvidia results in an X that won't start.

In that thread someone also suggested removing the nvidia-kernel-common
package. I've considered that before, but some packages depended on it
that looked important. On a second look, most of those were dummy, so I
removed the package. However that didn't help.

I've attached 3 xorg.0.log and 2 xorg.conf files:
- ,big: The first one, with the nvidia-generated altered version of the
xorg.conf I started with
- ,small: After I recreated the xorg.conf with dpkg
- ,no-common: After I removed the nvidia-kernel-common package.
xorg.conf for this one is the same as ,small

If the list scrubs them, but you're interested in them, I can probably
put them up somewhere.