Start up Problems

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 28 19:01:44 UTC 2008

On 04/26/2008 04:35 PM, jlsmith722 at comcast.net wrote:
> Hello
> I am an absolute newbie to Linux. The ability to make a dual boot system
> with Winxp convinced me to give hardy heron a try.
>
> The installation went well until the log-in screen came up.
> In short I cannot log-in to the default setting (run xclient scripts). I
> can log into fail-safe Gnome, or fail-safe terminal.
>
> Anyone have any ideas???

Any change, or are you still experiencing the problem.

I Will be helpful if you can provide some details regarding the machine
that you are installing on:

- brand/cpu/memory/video
- how you installed: liveCD? Alternate CD?

When you log in using failsafe Gnome, open a terminal
(Applications|Accessories|Terminal) and enter the following commands:

cd Documents
lshw > lshwjlsmith.txt

You can now view the file in the Documents directory. Attach the
contents & post back here. If you have problems attaching, just copy and
paste. That will list all of your hardware and provide enough info to help.