8.04 PAM errors

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 28 17:43:22 UTC 2008

On 04/27/2008 02:12 PM, R Kimber wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 10:32:35 +0100
> R Kimber wrote:
>

>> I frequently get errors of the form:
>>
>> CRON[1034]: PAM adding faulty module: /lib/security/pam_smbpass.so
>> CRON[1079]: PAM unable to dlopen(/lib/security/pam_smbpass.so)
>> CRON[1079]: PAM [error: /lib/security/pam_smbpass.so: cannot open
>> shared object file: No such file or directory]
>>
>> It looks as if there might be errors for most but not all  cron jobs,
>> but I'm not sure yet.
>
> OK.  Installing libpam-smbpass seems to have got rid of the errors.
>
> I've no Idea why this has become a necessary package.  I'm not aware of
> needing to use it, or anything smb-related.  It looks as though some smb
> package is installed by default, and someone forgot to include
> libpam-smbpass.
>
> - Richard

FWIW: I just came across this on the machine that I just upgraded from
Gutsy to Hardy. I discovered it when I found that I could not VNC into
the machine. Each time I would get the password prompt, but then get an
authentication failure. Ssh and NX worked, so I was able to view the
logs etc., and installing libpam-smbpass worked.

This is a pretty serious problem for folks that have remote machines. I
have not experienced the problem on fresh Hardy installs.

I'll add to the bug that Mario referred to, but found a few more. The
first one gives very bad advise:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pam/+bug/218110
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pam/+bug/218110/comments/6

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pam/+bug/216990
[similar comments about it being cosmetic etc., etc. but it obviously is
*NOT* cosmetic].