No subject

Pastor JW pastor_jw at the-inner-circle.org
Mon Apr 28 15:51:17 UTC 2008

On Monday 28 April 2008, Jeff Robertson wrote:
> I am considering buying a new Dell laptop in a couple months.  I am fed up
> with Windows and especially the crap they call "Vista".  Dell now offers
> new laptops with Ubuntu installed as the OS.  I would love to learn and use
> Ubuntu but I am worried some of my software won't work.  I have MS Office,
> Acrobat 7, PhotoshopCS IllustratotCS2 and Frontpage.

Well Jeff, I just got one of the (n)ice Laptops and love it!  Actually the "n"
on my machine meant it was preloaded Ubuntu 7.10 and it is my first
experience with this great OS!  I didn't use 7.10 very long as I got my
machine a week before 8.04 released so I updated BEFORE I had much of my own
data on the machine.  As for "Vista", it is amazing but the ONLY people I
have found who like that system are the people attempting to sell it!  I have
not found one person in our city who owns it, who does not have nasty things
to say about it.  Even our city's WiFi coffee shops language is now X rated
at best!  Your software won't work of course, unless you run it under wine (a
windoze emulator which says the letters stand for "Wine Is Not an
Emulator")or simular but then you bring back your windoze problems.  Each of
the programs you have listed have their linux counterparts which work as well
as or better than what they replace!  Even Windoze people will dump MS Office
for Open Office on that platform once they try it out, especially places like
my church, as we actually need software that works every week!

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n><   PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org