RAID drives

Neil hok.krat at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 15:13:20 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 7:09 PM, Richard Cloutier <rrcloutier at gmail.com> wrote:

>   I have Windows XP configured on two 250 GB drives configured as RAID 0.
> Can I load Ubuntu 8.xx on this drive?
>

> Richard Cloutier

Hello

You most probably have something called a Fake Raid system. This means
the OS needs drivers to be able to run it. I tried to run the Fake
raid 0 I had on my Asus P4P800 with Ubuntu 6 to no avail. Suse was
able to get it right. Default Ubuntu does not include the dmraid
package that enables the fake raid on most systems. There may be a way
to get ubuntu to include the dmraid package while booting, but I have
no clue how.
I would advise to use Suse instead of Ubuntu, for it is more
apropriate for these setups. Suse isn't as user friendly as Ubuntu,
but I feel it is a bit more admin friendly.

A while back I did manage to get BSD to recognise the fake raid system
correctly. This may be possible under Ubuntu, but it is tricky to the
inexperienced user. It needed a small old harddrive to boot from,
created a software raid system with the same properties as the fake
raid and mounted most things (all but /dev and /boot as I recall) from
the new harddrive. Interresting as it was, I couldn't have done it
without a good BSD nerd helping me.

Neil
--
There are two kinds of people:
1. People who start their arrays with 1.