Ubuntu 8.04 and Firefox 3 Beta 5

Mon Apr 28 08:22:02 UTC 2008

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 15:32:54 +0200
Christoph Bier <christoph.bier at web.de> wrote:
> I wasn't prepared :-(. I guess because I'm spoiled by Linux
> concerning data loss. That's the other side of the coin.

Yeah, that's a fair point actually - it is so rare that an update breaks *anything* that you get used to updating through force of habit more than because you think you might actually lose anything....

> I'm not sure but I'll give it a try. My first trials with MacOS X
> weren't successfull because I couldn't cope with the user interface
> and bash was truncated. But I'll try again now.

Yeah, my first goes with OSX were pretty bad. I've had a couple of goes since, and it's a bit better. I think the UI works best on very high res monitors.

I did miss the power (or perhaps the easy access to the power) that you get with Linux, though.

> > See, rather than find an OS that works with all hardware, I find
> > hardware that works with my OS.
>
> But it's soo time consuming!

Yeah, I know. I do accept that this really isn't appropriate for everyone.

<snip>

> I'm talking about a R60 with a Core 2 Duo, Intel chipset and ATI
> graphics card.

Yeah, ATi are someone I've always avoided, because it's so frustrating to get them working under Linux.

> The ThinkPad's chipset is Intel. But I really don't want to be
> restricted to one manufacturer!

No, nor do I. But on the other hand, I don't want to buy from companies who don't support Linux, either. Since I've never had a problem with Intel bits, It makes sense for me to stick with them.

> > The presence of an nvidia chipset
>
> I don't have a nvidia chipset. I talked about my Nvidia graphics
> card (6200 LE, 256 MB RAM) in my desktop PC which has an Intel
> chipset, too.

I meant graphics chipset, which would likely be NVidia if you've got an NVidia GPU.

--
Avi Greenbury