Upgrading 7.x To 8.x Desktop with update-notifier and LiveCD

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Mon Apr 28 06:59:18 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 23:08 -0500, Arpotu wrote:
> I didn't really see a way to change where it gets the packages, though
> IMHO it should stand out somewhere like a green thumb, so I went ahead
> with the network install.  It's now sitting at 3 days to finish the
> install...

The place to change the sources is in System > Administration > Software
Sources. You possibly can add the CD there as a source

> When I boot from CD-ROM, it just asks if I want to install over the
> existing system.  I don't see an upgrade option there.
>
> I want to upgrade the 7.x install using update-notifier and the 8.x
> CD-ROM.  Is there any easy way to do that?

Others have suggested (in other threads) that it should work with the
Desktop CD (that you have), by adding it as a source in the
aforementioned place.

However, I cannot confirm this because I never tried it. The upgrade
notes mention the option to update from CD only for the Alternate disk:
<http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading#head-7311a7de9fdf1ca310c6937460c0a9d33f54279d>