Video driver problem on upgrade to Hardy

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 27 19:57:36 UTC 2008

On 04/27/2008 10:15 AM, NoOp wrote:
> On 04/27/2008 06:20 AM, Paolo wrote:
>> NoOp wrote:
>>> sudo apt-get remove --purge xorg-driver-fglrx
>>>
>>> My _guess_ would be to go back to the Ubuntu ATI driver unless
>>> recommended elsewhere.
>>
>> Yes. I have removed the proprietary fglrx driver.
>>
>>> Try this: create a new user, reboot and log in as that user using the
>>> standard login. See if that works.
>>
>> I have created "paolo2". A normal boot as this new user brings up a very slow
>> interface, just as for "paolo".
>>
>>  >> Note: If all else fails, reboot and select "Recovery Mode" from the Grub
>>  >> menu. When that recovery menu comes up, select "xfix Try to fix the X
>>  >> server" and when it finishes, select "resume resume normal boot".
>>
>> Just tried that. It also gives me a very slow interface.

Paolo, can you open a terminal and paste the output of:

top -d1

My guess is that the slow is related to a process that is using all of
your CPU.

BTW: I just upgraded (I wonder if that's a correct term since I went
from a non-LTS to an LTS) my favorite test system to hardy. This is the
Gutsy system that I use to "tune" *all* of my applications before using
them on my production Gutsy system. Interestingly enough most went well,
but I encountered some problems that I'll post to another thread. But,
my graphics went wonky as well - including slooowwwwww video etc.

I found that glx & xinerama were sucking up 92% of the CPU. So, I
compared to my old xorg.conf and found that the option to use the
framebuffer was missing. I added it back in:

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller"
	Driver		"intel"
	BusID		"PCI:0:2:0"
	Option		"UseFBDev"		"true"
EndSection

I also edited my virtual terminal (I need this because I often boot
headless and then VNC or NX into the machine) to give me a 1024x768
screen (it kept insisting on using 2048x1536):

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Default Screen"
	Device		"Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller"
	Monitor		"CM641"
	Defaultdepth	24
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth	24
		Virtual	1280	1024

rebooted, and I'm back to normal (mostly) again.

I've no idea if any of the above will help with your situation, but the
output of 'top -d1' should provide some hints.