very basic about initial install

reader at newsguy.com reader at newsguy.com
Sun Apr 27 01:37:16 UTC 2008

David Curtis <dcurtis at uniserve.com> writes:

> Your more than likely to have the same issue with the server as this is
> a VM/sudo/upgrade problem and is very well known.

I see the bug reports now... but I got lucky and had no trouble at all
installing and booting the installed OS once I moved to the server
install.  My only complaint with the server install is the apparent
inability to get to a command line during install.  At least no
obvious way.

Instead one is apparently forced to plod thru the partitioning with
the ncurses deathly slow interface.  Why not allow user to get to a
command prompt and use fdisk directly.  It would an order of magnitude
faster.

However remembering now that this is an install as guest inside a
vmware running on Vista Home Premium, I must commend the Ubuntu
developers for the server install.  It installed and OS booted with no
hitches.  Whereas I tried gentoo several times and a number of
helpful work through  from vmware forums and still was completely unable
to get it to boot once the install was done.

Even worse... I've been running gentoo for several yrs so can't plead
unfamiliarity either.

Nice job developers... the server install went off without a hitch.
And using apt-get one can pretty quickly build up the kind of install
they want.  Being as how the install is as guest in vmware on MS
vista one  might expect an additional monkey wrench involved.

I think the server install must be pretty solid them.