disks renamed in 8.04

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Sun Apr 27 00:18:40 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 22:17 +0900, Craig Hagerman wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 8:46 PM, R Kimber <rkimber at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> >  > I'm not sure, but (assuming you want the device to be mounted at boot,
> >  > rather than hotplugging) I'd suggest a safe option would be to give
> >  > the device a label, e.g.:
> >  >
> >  > tune2fs -L BACKUP /dev/sdd1
> >  > then in your /etc/fstab have:
> >  > LABEL=BACKUP .....
> >  > as the mount specification
>
> I think you are talking about the same problem I just wrote about in
> Hardy where mounted discs are displayed by label rather than by mount
> point (as it was previously). I don't have labels on my mounted discs
> so they ALL show up as "500.1 GB Media".
>
> I was under the impression that if you changed the label of a disc it
> wiped all the data. Is this not so? I don't want to try that tune2fs
> thing if it is going to wipe out 500 GB of data.

Hello Ubuntu cracks and experts
Yes, I too was under this impression that if one changes label of a disc
under Linux ...
... like above ! ;-|

Especially as a newbie one has not really an idea how to setup best and
most ideal !

Sometime later one would like to change and adjust that and this, i.e.
like labels.
At installation I have set labels and some I would like to change to
something better / shorter !?

Even with labeling at installation ...
... my /etc/fstab shows no label entries !!

Could you enlighten us, please !?

TIA and cheers, svobi