mysql problem

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sun Apr 27 00:17:46 UTC 2008

James Gray wrote:

> On 26/04/2008, at 9:53 PM, Avi Greenbury wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 09:55:11 +1000
>> James Gray <james at gray.net.au> wrote:
>>>
>>> Bottom line, "sudo mysql" can't hurt :)
>>>

>> No, it can.
>>
>> Unless an app _needs_ root privileges (and MySQL doesn't) there's no
>> reason to run it as root, and good reasons not to.
>
> You missed the point - the mysql client CAN log into a mysql instance
> in the odd situation where there is not mysql root password.  In that
> situation, it CANT hurt, in fact, other than reloading the daemon to
> bypass the grant tables, it's the ONLY way to get a mysql root login.
> It's called "passwordless root" and can only be accessed by UID zero
> (which is verified by the mysql client).
>
> I agree though, once a root password has been set, the proper way to
> log in (and only way) is to actually use the password; "mysql -u root
> -p" for example.
>
> Let's not all get wrapped up in this paranoid "OMG he ran mysql client
> with root privs!!!" circus.  There was a good reason I suggested it,
> and clarified the logic in a follow-up.  This isn't my first lap of
> the block with MySQL. ;)
>
> Cheers,
>
> James
    I got all this stuff from a kind person showed me how to d/l it all.
It has been going fine and I figured a way to use the DB without a root
terminal. So all is good now. I need to fix some old number words to
their newer names used by the new DB and my learning tool will be there
again. I have PHP and Apache all set up and running. Once I get SQL back
in the forward part of my 73 year old brain can I get the complex web
page working as I want.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI