Question about gpl

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Sat Apr 26 20:11:35 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 14:47 -0500, Anna EdwARds wrote:
> I have a question about the gpl license.

Such questions are best not addressed to this list. First read the GPL
itself, its FAQ [1] and the Howto [2].

[1] http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html
[2] http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html

Then if you have questions, ask

> If i have an open source product that is in-compatible with the gpl
> license, and if the license it allready has dosn't strictly forbid it,
> could i release the new project under the gpl license? Like one
> currently under a microsoft open source license.

NOTE: you can only relicense software when you are the sole copyright
holder or when you have the written consent of all copyright holders.

You can DEFINITELY NOT redistribute some software that is under a
Microsoft license under any other license (unless you are Microsoft).

Read the license terms of the Microsoft license, you will find that they
allow very little, and certainly not relicensing.