Hardy install over existing Ubuntu install

Jayson Rowe jayson.rowe at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 16:46:14 UTC 2008

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 12:39 PM, Pat Brown <pat.mysterywriter at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'd love to use the Upgrade Manager but when I run it, it finds over 300
> updates and says it can't do a full installation. When I try to run a
> partial, it comes back with another error saying it can't authenticate
> the packages and that I should try again later. I've tried this a half a
> dozen times over the last few days. No luck. I'm having problems with my
> system that I'm sure need these updates to fix them, but I can't do the
> updates. So I thought installing the lates Ubuntu LTS I might get past
> this point and be able to get those updates, or their already in the LTS
> version.
>
> --
> Pat Brown
> http://www.pabrown.ca/
>
> L.A. Heat, the first Chris and David mystery
>

> Jayson Rowe wrote:
> >

> > On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 12:18 PM, Pat Brown <pat.mysterywriter at gmail.com
> > <mailto:pat.mysterywriter at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     I've got the newest release of Ubuntu 8.04 - the LTS version I
> believe.
> >     When I run the install, will it overwrite everything or will it
> >     recognize the Linux partition and simply replace the core files and
> >     leave my home directory and documents folder alone? I'm backing
> things
> >     up but don't know of a way to save all my emails outside of
> physically
> >     saving all. But I'd like to install this to fix some issues I'm
> having
> >     not being able to run updates.
> >
> >     --
> >     Pat Brown
> >     http://www.pabrown.ca/
> >
> >     L.A. Heat, the first Chris and David mystery
> >

> >     --
> >

> > If you have /home on a seperate partition you will be ok - if you have
> > everything in a single partition, settings will be overwritten.
> >
> > You may also want to consider upgrading via Upgrade Manager online if
> > you can.
> >
> > --
> > -jayson

You might try upgrading using the Alternate Install CD (snipped from the
Ubuntu Website):

Upgrading using the alternate CD/DVD

Use this method if the system being upgraded is not connected to the
Internet.

   1.

   Download and burn the alternate installation CD.
   2.

   Insert it into your CD-ROM drive.
   3.

   A dialog will be displayed offering you the opportunity to upgrade
   using that CD.
   4.

   Follow the on-screen instructions.

If the upgrade dialog is not displayed for any reason, you may also run the
following command using Alt+F2:

gksu "sh /cdrom/cdromupgrade"

Or in Kubuntu run the following command using Alt+F2:

kdesu "sh /cdrom/cdromupgrade"

--
-jayson