mysql problem

Carl Friis-Hansen ubuntuuser at carl-fh.com
Sat Apr 26 11:37:47 UTC 2008

Res wrote:
>> running "sudo mysql" does two things:
>
> The fact you give a valid shell to  a daemon is rather scary
I totally agree. It looks like James has come about a problem in the
past, but as far as I know the mysql or the mysqladmin doesn't really
care who runs it. However, if -u is not given on command line, then it
assumes the user who invoked the shell and passes this on to the
database server. The database server on the other hand has no knowledge
of any user ID in Linux, Mac or Windows, it uses Host, User and Password
to compare against values in mysql.user table.

--
| Carl Friis-Hansen             | Fiskeryd Nybygget |  \  /  |