Video driver problem on upgrade to Hardy

Paolo paolo2 at taize.fr
Sat Apr 26 10:03:01 UTC 2008

NoOp wrote:
> Thanks. Can you recap on exactly what is and isn't working at this point?

Thank *you* rather! I really am grateful not to feel alone in this.

Well, practically everything seems to be "working" at this point, but extremely
slowly. For example:
- I am a slow typer. When I type a line, I now have to wait about two seconds
for the letters to appear to the end of the phrase.
- When I move a window by dragging the title bar, it carries on moving for about
1 second after I have "dropped" it.
- Output from glxgears looks like this:
254 frames in 5.2 seconds = 48.832 FPS
216 frames in 5.0 seconds = 43.186 FPS
320 frames in 5.5 seconds = 58.109 FPS
260 frames in 5.0 seconds = 51.809 FPS
(I don't know what it was on Gutsy before upgrading to Hardy, but I am told the
figure should be around 1000 FPS.)
- Video on the BBC website will not play.
- gxine tries to play a DVD video, but the screen cannot keep up, and the
programme hangs/crashes.
- When I open OpenOffice Writer I can count out loud (fast) as each individual
icon appears in the tool bar.

It is a strange user experience ;-)

Having installed the proprietary ATI driver, I notice only one change: I now
have a cursor visible in Thunderbird when writing emails. Before, the cursor was
invisible.

Changes to the xorg.conf file, with respect to the file I posted, since
installing the proprietary driver are minimal:

Section "Device"
has: 	Driver	 "fglrx"  (changed from "ati")

And the 2 sections "DRI" and "Extensions" have been deleted.

Meanwhile, in var/log/Xorg.0.log: Here are the (WW) and (EE) entries...

Lines 227-230:
(II) LoadModule: "v4l"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module v4l
(II) UnloadModule: "v4l"
(EE) Failed to load module "v4l" (module does not exist, 0)

Lines 455-463 contain this line repeated:
(EE) fglrx(0): === [swlDalHelperAddCustomizeMode] ===
CWDDEDI_DisplayGetSetModeTimingOverride failed: 2

Line 622:
(WW) fglrx(0): could not detect X server version (query_status=-3)

Line 749:
(WW) fglrx(0): Option "MergedFB" is not used

Line 784-863 have lines similar to this one:
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x23