mysql problem

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sat Apr 26 00:12:42 UTC 2008

James Gray wrote:

> On 26/04/2008, at 9:44 AM, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>>    The apt-get install did get the mysql packages and installed them
>> properly. But my old book is not correct I think for this version 5.
>> When I try to get the version, or anything else with mysqladmin it does
>> this:
>>
>> karl at karl-desktop:~$ mysqladmin -p secret version
>> Enter password:
>> mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
>> error: 'Access denied for user 'karl'@'localhost' (using password: YES)'
>> karl at karl-desktop:~$
>>
>>    What have I done wrong? How do I get the mysql prompt?
>
> Try "sudo mysql" instead. IIRC the Ubuntu/Debian mysql server packages
> don't set a root password on the MySQL instance by default.
> Connecting as described earlier might get around this.  It's been a
> while since I installed MySQL on Ubuntu/Debian and I might be giving
> you a bum steer, so apologies in advance if I do :P
>
> Bottom line, "sudo mysql" can't hurt :)
>
> Cheers,
>
> James
    Very good James it did work when I tried $ sudo mysql -p and it
asked for a password I gave while it was setting up. Now I have a:

karl at karl-desktop:~$ sudo mysql -p
Enter password:
Your MySQL connection id is 8
Server version: 5.0.45-Debian_1ubuntu3.3-log Debian etch distribution

mysql>

many thanks!

Karl

--