unattended update-manager

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 25 18:26:53 UTC 2008

On 04/25/2008 05:13 AM, Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
> I ran update-manager to  upgrade from Feisty to Gutsy, in January, and
> I had to stay in front of my computer for more than 3 hours, just to
> answer 8 to 10 questions about keeping config files or installing the new ones.
> Is there a way avoid that (for example, by setting a default answer)?
> I think this should be available via a update-manager option.
>
> Pierre

There probably is, but is most likely is more trouble than it is worth
(unless you are updating quite a few systems at the same time).

One of the reasons the update takes so long is that you are doing it
from the internet. So, the update goes out and fetches info, configures,
checks, fetches more info, etc.  You can speed this up by upgrading from
the CD. I don't know about the liveCD (I don't use it), but you can put
the alternate in your CD drive while you have Gutsy running. Gutsy will
then prompt you with a menu to upgrade from the CD (Cancel/Start package
manager/Run upgrade) - select "Run upgrade".

That should speed things up considerably.